Subject: ICON Paintings Group conference

ICON Paintings Group conference

From: Chantal-Helen Thuer <c_thur<-at->
Date: Friday, June 26, 2015
"Appearance and Reality: Examining Colour Change in Paintings"
Icon Paintings Group Conference
The Clore Gallery
Tate Britain
10am-5.30pm

Changes in colour may completely alter the way we see a painting.
>From blue leaves in a still life, to the blue walls in Van Gogh's
bedroom, our perception of a painting can be informed by an
understanding of these changes.  When conserving paintings our
comprehension of these alterations can influence the way we display
and restore them.  This conference aims to provide an overview of
colour change in paintings, from the work of the old masters to
modern and contemporary painters.  It will also address the
aesthetic considerations related to these changes when approaching
conservation treatments and how understanding these variations can
influence the restoration and presentation of paintings.

The conference will cover various aspects of colour change in
paintings and historic and modern pigments, including:

    Colour change in old master paintings
    Marika Spring, The National Gallery, London

    Restoration of paintings with colour change
    Larry Keith, National Gallery, London

    Fading of Prussian blue in Danish golden age paintings
    Jorgen Wadum, National Museum of Denmark

    Colour change in Van Gogh
    Ella Hendricks, University of Amsterdam

    Rothko virtual restoration project at Harvard
    Jens Stenger, Yale

    Colour change in modern pigments
    Bronwyn Ormsby, Tate

    Micro-fading: applications for paintings
    Joyce Townsend, Tate

    Light and fading: Incandescent and LED
    Joseph Padfield, Tate)

Please see the ICON website and the Paintings Group events page for
a full programme of speakers and papers.

Evening Reception: Afterwards we will be holding an evening
reception 5.30-7pm in the Clore Gallery.  Two free drinks vouchers
(wine or soft drinks) will be included in the delegate packs and are
included in the ticket price.

Registration for this event is now open; book early to avoid
disappointment.

Tickets prices are:

    Members:  UKP75
    Non-members:  UKP95
    Student members:  UKP45
    Student non-members:  UKP65.

Ticket price includes lunch and refreshments (not at registration).

Tickets can be purchased at

    <URL:http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/appearance-and-reality-examining-colour-change-in-paintings-tickets-13066290627>

We look forward to seeing you there.  If you have any further
queries please contact icon.paintingsgroup<-at->googlemail<.>com

                   Distributed: Sunday, June 28, 2015