Subject: Frame finish policies

Frame finish policies

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Alex Moomey <amoomey<-at->arkansasartscenter<.>org> writes

>I am on a search for any standards or policies conservators or
>museums may have regarding the specifics of the finishes used on
>frames
>
>I'm finding it difficult to pin down what finishes are going to be
>the most practical for a museum.  Art frame producers are tight
>lipped about what they use. ...
>
>Does anyone have any experience with specifying frame finishes for
>works on paper and paintings or have any standards they may already
>use?

Frame producers probably can't answer you because they would use a
huge variety of paints, whatever suited their purposes.

The finishes you use in this case would have the same specifications
as for display cases in a museum.  In our museum we Oddy test any
materials that get used in display cases, or anywhere near a museum
object, to confirm that they are acceptable.  I suggest you do the
same, and Oddy test whatever finish you decide you like.  As a place
to start, the acrylic finishes tend to be better, but each paint and
finish you use should be Oddy tested to confirm.  The British Museum
website has a link to all their oddy tests, so you might find
something on there and not have to test it yourself

    <URL:http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/publications/research_publications_series/2004/selection_of_materials.aspx>

Our museum is also setting up to put our Oddy tests online, but as a
southern hemisphere museum, I doubt we have many products in common
with what is available to you.

Beyond that, our general guidelines are: A minimum of 4 brush coats,
or 6 spray coats.  Approved coatings require sufficient drying time
of at least four weeks before objects are installed.  Any wooden
products need to be sealed by using appropriate paints or coatings.
An alternative to seal surfaces which does not require any drying or
off-gassing time is MarvelSeal, an aluminium barrier coating, but it
wouldn't be much use as a frame finish.

Resene Lumbersider acrylic is one brand we commonly use.

Hope there is some useful information for you there.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira