Subject: Crowdfunding Trust for African Rock Art (TARA)

Crowdfunding Trust for African Rock Art (TARA)

From: Adam Lowe <newsletter<-at->
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2015
TARA Crowdfunding campaign
(ends July 1, 2015)

A team from Factum Arte will be traveling to the Enedi with David
Coulson and TARA

    <URL:http://africanrockart.org>

later in the year supported by the Factum Foundation.  We will be
armed only with Canon EOS5DIII cameras and will be sharing
everything we know about photogrammetry with David and some members
of the local community.  Documentation is key to the preservation of
sites of cultural importance and recent advances in photogrammetry
have made this affordable, fast and not dependent on vast amounts of
equipment.  All that is required is a clearly defined approach,
systematic recording, careful archiving and processing to extract
high-resolution 3D and colour data from a mosaic of photographs.

TARA's aim is clear: "to document threatened rock art in the Sahara
before it is lost forever".   Please look at the video on their
crowdfunding campaign--cultural heritage is under threat from many
sources; mass tourism, iconoclastic destruction, failed restoration
attempts, wars, natural disasters, vandalism and the inevitable
process of ageing.  It is time for action and we need to ensure that
as many sites as possible are documented at high-resolution as fast
as possibles; Please support TARA in any way you can.  There is just
one week left to the end of the campaign.  The work TARA is doing is
vitally important--if we don't understand and preserve our past we
will have no future.

Crowdfunding Campaign:

    <URL:http://igg.me/at/Saharan-Rock-Art>

    <URL:https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/saving-the-ancient-rock-art-of-the-sahara--2#/story>

Also see recently completed work by Alex Peck applying the same
approach to an endangered site in Lebanon:

    <URL:http://www.factum-arte.com/pag/686/High-resolution-photogrammetry-Lebanon-Nahr-El-Kalb-Project>

Adam Lowe
c/Albarracin 28
28037 Madrid, Spain