Subject: Balsa or jelutong as filling materials for splits in wooden panels

Balsa or jelutong as filling materials for splits in wooden panels

From: Yuqi Chock <yuqi.chock<-at->
Date: Saturday, June 6, 2015
I am a Master's student in Conservation Studies (Furniture and
Related Objects) at West Dean College, UK.  The research I am
conducting for my dissertation is geared at finding a wood that will
expand and contract with fluctuating relative humidity, and not
exacerbate current damage or cause new damage when used to fill
splits in restrained wooden panels.

As part of my research, I would like to ask whether anyone has had
notable experiences (either positive or negative) using balsa or
jelutong as wood fills, in instances where the surrounding wood has
little or no space for movement?  I would very much appreciate any
comments on this topic.  In return, if you include your e-mail
address in the reply, I will be happy to send you updates on the
research as it progresses.

Yuqi Chock
Student, MA Conservation Studies (Furniture and Related Objects)
Furniture Department, West Dean College
West Dean
West Sussex PO18 0QZ
United Kingdom