Subject: Xiaoping Cai awarded CXD Nicholas Hadgraft Scholarship

Xiaoping Cai awarded CXD Nicholas Hadgraft Scholarship

From: Pauline Hutchinson <pauline.hutchinson<-at->
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Conservation By Design Reveals 2015 Scholarship Winner

Conservation By Design (CXD) is delighted to announce that the lucky
recipient of this year's coveted Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial
Scholarship is Xiaoping Cai.  Originally from China, Xiaoping is a
full-time student studying for a MA in conservation at Camberwell
College of Arts at the University of the Arts London.

Now in its 11th year, the scholarship offers one conservator each
year the opportunity to learn more about unique bookbinding
techniques from a host of well known and highly regarded tutors at
the acclaimed Montefiascone Book Conservation Summer School in
Italy.

Xiaoping, who also works as an intern for the conservation
department of UCL's Science Library and the V&A Book conservation
department too, intends to use her scholarship to attend all four
courses:  Recreating the Medieval Palette by Cheryl Porter; Italian
Stiff-Board Vellum Binding with Slotted Spine run by tutors Scott W.
Devine and Tonia Grafakos; The Rylands Fountainebleau Aldine by
course tutors Caroline Checkley-Scott, Stefania Signorello and
Julianne Simpson and An Early Islamic Binding by course tutors
Kristine Rose and Alison Ohta.

On hearing the news Xiaoping said

   "I really appreciate your generosity in providing such a
    wonderful opportunity each year.  It was a breathtaking moment
    for me when I received the call from CXD's Managing Director
    Dirk Hendrickx.  My place is confirmed and I feel so excited
    about the summer school in Montefiascone.  This scholarship
    totally aligns with my original plan to further my study in book
    conservation in London.  I believed that only by tracing to the
    source, I could truly understand the history and techniques of
    western bookbinding and book conservation.  And now this belief
    is even stronger.  I consider this program as an important step
    in my career development."

Xiaoping will receive UKP1,500 towards the cost of attending the
Summer School, which takes place over four weeks in July - August
2015 in the medieval town of Montefiascone, Italy.

Dirk Hendrickx, added.

   "It is always such a pleasure to join the panel of judges as they
    study the detail of many worthy scholarship applications.  It is
    encouraging to see the continued rise in international interest,
    confirming that this scholarship is highly regarded within the
    conservation sector both here in the UK and overseas.  With this
    in mind for the third year running the judges, were unanimous in
    their decision to award a runner-up prize.  Lisa Handke, an
    undergraduate at the HAWK University of Applied Sciences and
    Arts, Hildesheim, Germany, studies 'Preventive Conservation of
    Books and Paper will receive UKP1000 towards attendance costs."

The scholarship is offered in memory of Dr Nicholas Hadgraft, a good
friend of Conservation By Design who died tragically in 2004.
Nicholas was a fellow of the University of the Arts London and a key
collaborator on the "Squelch Drying" technique devised by Stuart
Welch (the founder of CXD), the most effective way to date of drying
valuable rare books.

For further information on the Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial
Scholarship, contact Conservation By Design on +44 1234 846300or
visit

    <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk>

                   Distributed: Monday, June 8, 2015