Subject: Database software for archives

Database software for archives

From: Mauro J. Mazzini <mjmconservation<-at->
Date: Monday, May 18, 2015
I would like to know your recommendations about the simplest
software to manage a photo collection. Basically it's an analog
photo collection (b&w and color) where the photographer stills
creates new prints, but he doesn't shoot anymore. His material is
being scanned too, so the database must include at least:

    Inventory of the negative archive with fields indicating the
    *several* prints that can be made of it

    Records about when and where prints where exposed

    Records about when and where prints where sold

    Possibility of showing a thumbnail if the image was scanned and
    link to the scanned image

The person that will be in charge of the archive doesn't have
previous experience with this kind of database.  They started with a
Filemaker database that somebody made for them, but the database
grow up to 2GB with only 60 images documented, since it adds the raw
images to the base.

I know that they will be able to use Adobe Bridge to manage metadata
of the digital copies, but I imagine you can be able to recommend
better options to do the rest--or in a ideal situation, the
whole--based on your previous experience.  Note: they use OSX.

I have worked for several years with photo archives, using databases
which were bad choices already in place, so I am not an expert in
databases.

Mauro J. Mazzini
Conservateur-restaurateur de materiaux photographiques et papier
Paris

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 23, 2015