Subject: Baskets coated with glycerine

Baskets coated with glycerine

From: Rachel Waters <rwaters<-at->
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015
We have a large collection of coiled baskets and trays with natural
dyes that were coated with glycerine about 40 years ago.  The
records do not indicate what the solution was, it only says
"glycerine," but these baskets are now much darker than their
un-glycerined companions.  Has anyone had success reducing this sort
of darkening from anything similar (plant material) without
affecting the natural dyes?  I have not done any solubility testing
yet; I thought I would reach out to the community first.

Rachel Freer-Waters, Conservator

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 23, 2015