Subject: Conservation advice for artists

Conservation advice for artists

From: Kimberly Kwan <k.kwan1<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015
MA Conservation students at Camberwell College of Arts have a unique
perspective studying conservation alongside students who are
producing artwork.  We are currently working in collaboration with
students from the arts courses to create a dialogue between artists
and conservators, with the aim of helping emerging artists better
understand their choices in different media, materials, and their
combinations with regard to aging characteristics.

We have received some questions from students, and would really
appreciate any advice or input on the following:

    Is it safe to mix different types of paints (e.g. oils on top of
    acrylics)?

    If wall paints last around ten years on a wall, can we expect it
    to last longer on a board or canvas, and if not, what makes it
    different from professional paint?

    How long can we expect paintings on plywood or MDF to last?

    Are there any advantages to painting on aluminum instead of
    wooden boards or canvas?

    Do thick and textured layers of paint (i.e. de Kooning)
    compromise the longevity of a painting?

    How long do ballpoint pen drawings last?  Are archival ink
    ballpoint pens trustworthy?

    How much can underbinding (thinning down the paint, e.g. with
    water) in acrylics affect the longevity of a painting?  Is there
    a way to protect an underbound coat of acrylic?

Kimberly Kwan
Camberwell College of Arts

                    Distributed: Sunday, May 3, 2015