Subject: Storing lead paint

Storing lead paint

From: Emily Bell <ebell<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015
The Wellesley College campus once housed a paint factory, and we
have acquired a can of paint from it for our Archives.  It dates
from a time when lead was a common paint ingredient, so I am
concerned about the proper way to store it in order to minimize any
health hazards to staff or patrons.  The can has its original
soldered seal and appears to be full--shaking it produces very
little movement--so I'm not too worried about leaks, in the short
term at least, and it doesn't seem like it would be wise to open it
just to empty it.  It's a small can, maybe 2 cups in volume (one
half liter or so), but very dense, increasing the likelihood that
there is a lot of lead in the paint (and possibly in the material of
the can itself).  I'm thinking a transparent resealable polyethylene
bag and a secondary rigid container should be sufficient, but is
there anything else I should consider?  Has anyone had a similar
item in their collection for which they found an acceptable storage
solution?

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks,

Emily K. Bell
Collections Conservator
Margaret Clapp Library
Wellesley College