Subject: Tracing paper

Tracing paper

From: Melina Avery <melinaavery<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Kupias Riikka <riikka.kupias<-at->turku<.>fi> writes

>I would be interested in hearing your experiences of conserving
>tracing paper, i.e. drawings.  Which methods and materials you have
>found as the best for mending tears and filling losses of these
>transparent and fragile items?  How about straightening?

I have used passive humidification and blotter stack flattening for
rolled, folded and creased tracing paper.  For mending and fills
I've had the most success with very thin remoistenable tissue,
usually Tengujo with 50/50 wheat starch paste and methylcellulose or
just methylcellulose, reactivated with as little moisture as I can
get away with because the tracing paper cockles so quickly.  I once
tried a remoistenable tissue that could be reactivated with ethanol,
but it didn't stick well enough.

Melina Avery
Conservator
The University of Chicago Library