Subject: Position at Auckland Museum

Position at Auckland Museum

From: Evana Vulinovich <evanavulinovich<-at->
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015
Head of Collection Care
Auckland Museum

Auckland Museum is seeking an experienced, forward-thinking museum
professional to lead our Collection Care team in an exciting period
of the Museum's development.  This is a key management role as the
Museum embarks on a number of capital projects will significantly
affect the use and storage of the extensive wide-ranging
collections.

The Head of Collection Care leads the long-term preservation of the
Museum's collections through both advocacy and direct management of
people and activities to upgrade and enhance the care and condition
of the collections.  The position is responsible for maintaining and
improving the physical state of collections through preventive care
strategies, policy and procedure development and through management
of projects which optimise the care of the collections.
Contributions to Museum-wide programmes and building development
projects are vital parts of the long-term success of the role.

The Museum's collections span a wide range of formats, subjects and
materials across the human history, natural science and documentary
heritage fields.  A key challenge of the role is managing the
skilled professional and technical team and the long-term care of
diverse collections while also enabling various modes of access and
collection use.  A core responsibility will be to advocate strongly
for appropriate conditions and sensitive collection care in the
context of Museum planning, gallery developments, storage renewal
and digitisation projects.

We are looking for someone with management experience who is eager
to provide outstanding leadership to the Museum's team of Collection
Managers, Conservators and other project staff who work on the
preservation, storage and conservation treatment of the collections.

The successful candidate will be a positive player in our diverse
organisation and will have strengths in building relationships and
provoking new thinking in the care, storage and management of museum
collections, and managing change.

The successful candidate will have:

    Excellent staff management experience with proven ability to
    lead, train and supervise staff and to engender enthusiasm and
    commitment

    Ability to advocate effectively for preservation issues and
    concerns and to negotiate solutions in an environment of
    competing priorities

    Tertiary qualification in the Conservation of Cultural
    Materials, Collection Management or a Degree in a field relevant
    to the Museum's collections

    Extensive familiarity with conservation principles, the needs of
    a wide range of object materials and the care and management of
    heritage collections

    Good knowledge of tikanga Maori particularly its application to
    culturally appropriate collection care along with a general
    knowledge of New Zealand natural/cultural history

    Desire to work in a dynamic museum and in a cross-functional
    team environment

We invite motivated applicants with management and team leadership
experience and thorough knowledge of current practice in collection
management, conservation and public access to museum collections.

Closing Date: 5pm Sunday, 17 May 2015

You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this position.

This is a great opportunity for someone looking to be part of a
fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national
and Auckland stories and reflecting our unique place in the South
Pacific.

To apply for this job, please apply online or go to our job site

    <URL:http://careers.aucklandmuseum.com>

and enter the job code 4630.

You must apply via our careers site.applications submitted
incorrectly will not be processed.

                  Distributed: Monday, April 20, 2015