Subject: Conference on libraries

Conference on libraries

From: Ray Privott <rpri<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2015
"What do we lose when we lose a library?"
A conference about the future challenges of libraries
9-11 September 2015

    <URL:https://kuleuvencongres.be/libconf2015/website>

To commemorate the centenary of the destruction of the University
Library in 1914, the Goethe-Institut Brussels, the British Council
Brussels and the University of Leuven (KU Leuven) are organising a
three day international conference on the challenging topic: What do
we lose when we lose a library?

The fragility of libraries in their material and digital dimension
remains, more than 100 years after the fire, one of the greatest
challenges for the transmission of human knowledge.  The two
conference themes Library and Heritage and Library and Digital
Challenge will shed light on the vision and approach to the past and
the future of libraries.  The conference is addressed to scholars
and librarians as pioneers of organising cultural memory through
expertise and knowledge.  The aim is to raise worldwide public
consciousness of the important task of sharing collective and
cultural memory, and to raise awareness of the challenges libraries
face in performing this task.

The program of the conference "What do we lose when we lose a
Library?" is now online.

    <URL:https://kuleuvencongres.be/libconf2015/website/program>

Early bird registration is until 15 May 2015.

    <URL:https://kuleuvencongres.be/libconf2015/website/registration>

Any additional questions, please contract

    Dr. Fenella G. France
    Preservation Research and Testing Division
    Library of Congress
    frfr<-at->loc<.>gov

                  Distributed: Monday, April 20, 2015