Subject: Conservation database structure

Conservation database structure

From: Caroline Tragett <caroline_tragett<-at->
Date: Monday, April 13, 2015
Lauren Robinson <lrobinson<-at->mcny<.>org> writes

>We are looking at a proposal for the conservation module in our
>database.  The proposal currently separates the following into four
>fields: Proposed Treatment, Proposed Materials, Treatment, and
>Treatment Materials.  I'm wondering what other institutions follow
>the practice of separating treatment from treatment materials, and
>how they find it useful.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

We have recently received a brand new database from System
Simulation Limited that incorporates a conservation module within
the collections management database.  Whilst most of the database
was of a standard collections management form we had some
modifications made to the conservation module as we felt it wasn't
comprehensive enough.  Our priority was to make the database include
as much information as we already generate on our objects but also
allow us to do really useful searching.  We included lots of fields
for peoples names and dates, so that all reports have a human and a
date attached to them.  We have the following fields:

    Technical elements                  To describe the condition
                                        and existence of the parts
                                        of an object like glazing,
                                        backboarding and hangings

    Technical assessment                Broken down further into
                                        materials and assessment so
                                        that you can condition
                                        report an object by
                                        material, e.g. substrate,
                                        gesso, gilding

    Treatment Recommendation            Including whose
                                        recommendation and how many
                                        hours

    Condition                           A single statement that
                                        curators can check to see
                                        whether an object is fit to
                                        loan etc.

    Conservation treatment priority     Uses a numbering system to
                                        allow prioritization

    Next condition check date.

    Conservation event                  Broken down further to
                                        include what treatment
                                        process you are using, a
                                        free text area for the
                                        treatment report and a
                                        materials list

    Scientific analysis                 Broken down into lots of
                                        components including
                                        technical event, reason for
                                        analysis, process etc.

I would advise that you talk to your supplier as they are generally
able to make lots of alterations that probably aren't as expensive
as you think.  I would also say that whilst collections management
databases have been around for a while, not a lot of input has been
made by conservators which has led to the resulting solutions being
quite clunky at times.  Find out exactly what they conservators want
to record and talk to the supplier.

Caroline Oliver
Lead Conservator
Guildhall Art Gallery