Subject: Lascar Electronics Wi-Fi data logger

Lascar Electronics Wi-Fi data logger

From: Pablo Londero <pablo.londero<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Emily Bell <ebell<-at->wellesley<.>edu> writes

>Our library is in need of upgrading its environmental monitoring
>equipment.  We are looking into a Wi-Fi capable system, and are
>considering the Lascar Electronics Wi-Fi data logger (EL-WiFi-TH).

As far as alternatives go, have you looked at radio-frequency (RF)
dataloggers?  Many of the major companies offer them.  They are also
wireless transmitters but use different technology to transmit their
data to a receiver that is connected to a networked computer
(typically by USB).  One receiver can handle 10-100 loggers or more.
The computer with the receiver then puts the data on the network
(internet).

In practice their use is very similar, but they have some key
advantages including:

    Depending on the frequency used, RF can penetrate barriers such
    as walls/shelving better than Wi-Fi.

    Lower power consumption for RF data transmission (data
    transmission is often the main battery eater).

1-5 years of operation for RF-based sensors on batteries is
reasonable depending on battery type, sensor hardware, measurement
interval, etc.

Pablo Londero
Associate Conservation Scientist
Aging Diagnostics Lab
Institute for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage
Yale University
300 Heffernan Road
Bldg 900
Room 124