Subject: Nodder

Nodder

From: Gwen Spicer <gwen<-at->
Date: Friday, April 3, 2015
Recently an interesting object came into the studio.  The item is
frequently described as a "nodder" or sometimes as a "pagod" (male
figure) or a "magot" (female figure).  They are hard-paste porcelain
figures, made in Germany (those made by Meissen are the most valued
and copied), but are in the Chinoiserie style.  The are always
sitting with legs crossed, and smiling so that they appear very
buddha-like, yet they are often painted as being dressed in 18th or
19th century attire.

What makes these items so unique is that the hands and head are
movable in that they rock on a fulcrum with a counterweight hidden
in the body to enable the head to move back and forth as if nodding
(hence the term nodder) and the hands to wave.  Many of these
figures feature a tongue that moves in and out of the open mouth. As
the head nods forward, the tongue sticks out, as the head nods back,
the tongue retracts.

It is this interesting tongue mechanism which is broken on the
nodder we have.  The owner has brought us the various parts of the
mechanism (although we are not certain if the pieces are the
complete mechanism).  There do not seem to be any photographs or
diagrams of how this mechanism works and without any, making the
tongue work again will be rather difficult.

Has anyone had the opportunity to treat one of these?  Are you
familiar with the mechanism and perhaps can share some insight?
I would be most appreciative, thank you,

Gwen Spicer
Spicer Art Conservation, LLC

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 5, 2015