Subject: Iron/Wood composite artifacts sought

Iron/Wood composite artifacts sought

From: Virginie Ternisien <virginie.ternisien<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2015
Composite samples needed for PhD research, Paris 1
Pantheon-Sorbonne University

    author.

I am a conservator at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center (WLCC) in
South Carolina USA, home of the H.L. Hunley (1864) submarine
project.  In January 2016, I will begin a PhD program at the School
of Archaeology, Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne University, in
collaboration with Arc'Antique, a conservation and research
laboratory in Nantes, France.

My PhD research will study the desalination (removal of chlorides)
of marine archaeological iron-wood composite artifacts in near
neutral solutions under electrolysis.  I am currently in search of
iron-wood composite artifacts recovered from the same marine
archaeological site.  The iron part should still be partially
metallic.  Some artifacts would be destroyed to conduct elementary
analysis.  Investigation of the artifacts will be carried out at
Arc'Antique and the WLCC laboratories.

If you are interested in being a part of this project, or if you
have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me by
email at virginie.ternisien<-at->gmail<.>com

Thank you for your contribution.

Virginie Ternisien
Conservator
Warren Lasch Conservation Center
Clemson University Restoration Institute
1250 Supply Street
North Charleston, SC 29405
843-730-5092
Fax: 843-744-1489