Subject: Questionnaire on long-term display of books

Questionnaire on long-term display of books

From: Meg Brown <megbrown<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2015
I am interested in learning about other institutions' experiences
with long term display of a singular book.  I know there are a lot
of Audubon volumes on long term display as well as other things (at
least a few Gutenberg bibles?), and I have been unable to find any
recent literature on this topic.  I would like to survey best
practices of this type of display, and learn if any of you have seen
specific types of damage to bindings-or found good solutions for
arranging supports.  I am happy to call you, or if you would be
willing to answer the following questions and send to me via email,
I would be grateful.

Also, I know there are some books like this on permanent displays in
institutions that might not have a conservator.  I'd love to have a
list of all the Audubon volumes on permanent display; if you've seen
one on display could you email me where you've seen it?  If there is
recent literature on this topic I'm interested in that too.

    What is the item, and where is it on display?

    How long has the item been on display?

    How is the binding supported (wood support, foam support, bricks
    and board, other?)

    Has the support been changed over the years of display?

    Has the item been reviewed and/or removed during the period of
    display?  Were any observations of damage either light or
    binding or other found?  Or alternatively have you specifically
    noticed a LACK of damage?

    Is there any environmental control for the case the item is in?

    What is the method of turning pages (how often are the pages
    turned, who is this done by, is it recorded, is there a method
    to make sure specific pages aren't shown multiple times, do you
    simply turn to the next page or change throughout the volume to
    balance spine damage?)

    When pages are turned, does the support piece get changed (as
    the shape of the opening changes?)

    What department is in charge of this item, is there any
    conservation or preservation consult?

    What kind of security exists for the item (case alarm, video
    security, guard, key/lock for case)?

Thank you for your consideration.

Meg Brown
The E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation Exhibits Librarian
Duke University Libraries

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 22, 2015