Subject: Removing varnish from paper

Removing varnish from paper

From: Claire Valero <valero.claire<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2015
I a currently a fifth year student (MA) in Conservation of Fine Arts
on Paper, at La Cambre.  The subject of my final year exam is
varnishes on works of paper and different methods of varnish
removal, especially with gel.

I would be particularly interested in historical information, since
I only find the question of varnish connected to painting.  It seems
very difficult to know a date or a period when artworks on paper
were first varnished and if it was a much used method at a given
time.  I only know that a certain example of varnished works of art
on paper are globes and sometimes maps.  However, other works and
techniques (drawing, lithographies, etc.) have received varnish.

I have read a lot about different methods of varnish removal,
especially the Wolbers gels and several other gels mainly in
painting restauration.  My objective is to adapt some of them to
paper conservation, seeing that they seem to be very promising.

I would be very grateful if you could contribute to my research in
any way you can think of.  If you have any queries or further
information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for taking the time to supplement my research.

Claire Valero
MA candidate, Conservation of Fine Art,
Universite de La Cambre, 2014/2015

                  Distributed: Friday, March 13, 2015