Subject: Consolidating chalkboard

Consolidating chalkboard

From: Susan Russick <susan-russick<-at->
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2015
I received several very helpful direct responses to my query
regarding consolidation of a chalkboard and would like to summarize
the information here.

Consolidants suggested: Funori, JunFunori, gelatin, isinglass;
Klucel-G, and Lascaux Medium for Consolidation.  Neither Aquazol nor
B-72 were recommended by anyone as they are too shiny.  The Thuer
article listed below (which I wouldn't have found by myself--thanks
again) includes a very useful comparison of various consolidants.  I
ended up using funori, based on decent aging properties, very matte
finish, and lower expense than JunFunori.

Methods of application suggested: Ultrasonic mist, mist from
atomizer, airbrush, brush application through a tissue.  I used
ultrasonic mist from a medical nebulizer.

Actual Treatment:  After some testing, I used a 0.5%-1% solution of
warm funori applied as a mist using the John Bunn Neb-u-lite EV
nebulizer.  The John Bunn nebulizer was used because it was able to
push the viscous funori into a mist--something our more deluxe
nebulizer was unable to do.  Other application techniques looked
fine in the actual chalk text area, however appeared spotty or
haloed in areas where chalk was thinly applied, such as eraser marks
and fingerprints.  The entire chalkboard required 4-6 coats of
funori mist.  While not without its quirks, the working method
proved safe and the treatment resulted in a relatively secure media
surface, that was still satisfyingly "chalky".  A large, deep box
was constructed using Tycore to guard against contact with the
surface during storage.

Readings:

    Thuer, Chantal-Helen.
    "Scottish Renaissance Interiors: Facings and adhesives for
    size-tempera painted wood", Historic Scotland Technical paper 11
    May 2011.

        <URL:http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/technicalpapers>

    Geiger, Thomas, and Franciose Michel
    "Studies on the Polysaccharide JunFunori", Studies in
    Conservation 50 (2005 September 1): 193-204.

        <URL:https://www.iiconservation.org/node/1110>

    Pataki, A.
    "Consolidation of White Chalk with Aerosols" in Preprints of the
    14th Triennial Meeting of the ICOM Committee for Conservation,
    Den Haag (London: 2005), pp. 223-230.

My thanks to Inez Litas, Chantal-Helen Thuer, Rebecca Dallwitz, and
Bogan Filip Zerek for responding to my query.

Susan Russick
Special Collections Conservator
Northwestern University Library
1970 Campus Drive