Subject: Silk plush

Silk plush

From: Alan Hawk <alan.j.hawk.civ<-at->
Date: Monday, February 23, 2015
We are investigating acquiring a Naval Hat with made of Silk Plush.
It is worn and appears to be shedding in some places and if I touch
it in some places, I get a black powder on my fingers but other
places nothing on my fingers .  Trying to figure out what is
happening and if this is inherent vice or insect damage or wear.

I can send images to anyone who would like additional information.

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Medical Research and Materiel Command
2460 Linden Lane
Silver Spring MD 20910