Subject: Cement products

Cement products

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 26, 2015
David Stevenson <dstevenson<-at->cca<.>qc<.>ca> writes

>...  Can anyone on the DistList
>point me towards good information or speak from experience about the
>off-gassing of concrete, dry times, sealants, or whether this is
>just an unacceptable idea in the first place?

   "If experimentally we make a concrete block, without doing it any
    mechanical violence, and seal it in a closed box, the air in the
    box becomes strongly alkaline."

        Characteristics of Japanese Art that Condition its Care,
        Japanese Association of Museums, 1987, by Toishi and
        Washizuka, p. 181:

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, Oregon