Subject: Foxing on textiles

Foxing on textiles

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 22, 2015
Laura Mina <laura.mina<-at->metmuseum<.>org> writes

>I am researching treatment options to remove foxing stains from a
>linen garment. I am particularly interested in treatments that
>include chelators and enzymes. I would appreciate any information
>about textile treatments to remove foxing stains without bleaching.

Foxing is a very generic term.  you should know what has caused the
spots prior to any treatment.  If fungal spots, they have left
behind a biofilm which is alkaline soluble.  Paper conservators can
help you with details.  If the textile is natural linen, it
inherently has brownish spots caused by fungal hyphal structures,
sclerotia, that grew on the flax plant stem.  They are strongly
adhered to the surface of the fibers.  They are a natural part of
the textile.  Hope this helps.

                 Distributed: Friday, February 27, 2015