Subject: Cement products

Cement products

From: David Stevenson <dstevenson<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2015
Our museum is considering the use of a Concrete product called BOMIX
Solution 20 to construct table tops.  The tables would be display
cases, and have a four-sided plexi lid that sits on top of the
table, creating an air-tight environment.  Therefore, the inside of
the display case would have a cement base.  Display objects would
not have direct contact with the surface, but would still be in an
environment that contains potentially hazardous off-gasses from the
cement.

My question relates to this threat.  Can anyone on the DistList
point me towards good information or speak from experience about the
off-gassing of concrete, dry times, sealants, or whether this is
just an unacceptable idea in the first place?

David Stevenson
Conservator
Centre Canadien d'Architecture
Canadian Centre for Architecture