Subject: Illustrations of preventive conservation measures

Illustrations of preventive conservation measures

From: Joachim Huber <joachim.huber<-at->
Date: Monday, February 16, 2015
We are rewriting our handbook on preventive conservation (German
title: Handhabung und Lagerung von mobilem Kulturgut, 2003), which
wasn't illustrated until now.  We would like to illustrate that the
concept of preventive conservation is not new but measures in
preventive conservations were already taken in earlier times as
common practice of good housekeeping.  We are looking for historic
illustrations of measures applied to interiors and works of art
which could be considered as preventive conservation in the widest
sense before the term itself was established.  We are interested in
reproductions of historical paintings, drawings, watercolors, early
photographs etc. that show shades, blinds, slip covers, dust
protection, dusting/cleaning, pest management, "put to bed" of
period interiors or other measures to prevent (accelerated) decay of
objects and materials.  (Digital rights will be asked for when
images will eventually be chosen for publication).

Joachim Huber
Prevart GmbH
Oberseenerstrasse 93
CH 8405 Winterthur