Subject: Position at Auckland Museum

Position at Auckland Museum

From: Evana Vulinovich <evanavulinovich<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2015
Head of Collection Care
Auckland Museum

Auckland Museum is seeking an experienced, forward-thinking museum
professional to lead our Collection Care team in an exciting period
of the Museum's development.  The Museum's collections span a wide
range of formats, subjects and materials across the human history,
natural science and documentary heritage fields.  Managing long-term
preservation while allowing for various modes of access to and use
of these collections is a key challenge of the role.  Upcoming
developments will see significant changes to the display and storage
of collections and this role will be a key contributor, providing
advocacy for collection care to the planning and delivery a range of
projects.

The Head of Collection Care leads the long-term preservation of the
Museum's collections through both advocacy and direct management of
activities which upgrade and enhance the care and condition of the
collections.  The position is responsible for maintaining and
improving the physical state of collections through policy and
procedure development, preventive care strategies and through
management of projects which optimise the storage and care of the
collections.  Contributions to Museum-wide programmes and building
development projects are vital parts of the long-term success of the
role.

We are looking for someone eager to provide outstanding leadership
to the Museum's team of Conservators, Collection Managers and other
project staff who work on the preservation, storage and conservation
treatment of the collections.

The successful candidate will be a positive player in our diverse
organisation and will have strengths in building relationships and
provoking new thinking in the care, storage and management of museum
collections.

The successful candidate will have:

     Tertiary qualification in the Conservation of Cultural
     Materials or a Degree in a field relevant to the Museum's
     collections

     A Museum Studies qualification would be desirable

     Minimum 10 years' work experience in museums or a closely
     related field

     Extensive experience in the care and management of heritage
     collections

     Thorough knowledge and experience of requirements for the safe
     handling, packing, transport, display, conservation and storage
     of museum objects to current museum standards

     Extensive familiarity with conservation principles and the
     needs of a wide range of object materials

     Ability to advocate effectively for preservation issues and
     concerns and to negotiate solutions in an environment of
     competing priorities

     Broad knowledge of New Zealand history and cultures and/or
     natural sciences

     Good knowledge of tikanga Maori particularly its application to
     collection care

     Demonstrated experience as a team-player and in managing
     people, budgets, resources and projects in a multi-disciplinary
     organisation

     Good intuition combined with discriminating use of data to
     drive and communicate directions and priorities for a team

     Excellent staff management experience with proven ability to
     lead, train and supervise staff and to engender enthusiasm and
     commitment

     Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing at a
     high level within the Museum and to external collaborators and
     clients

     Desire to work in a dynamic museum and in a cross functional
     team environment

     Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings,
     holidays and/or weekends

    Current drivers licence desirable

We invite motivated applicants with team leadership experience and
thorough knowledge of current practice in preservation management
and public access with a working knowledge of conservation of museum
collections.

Closing Date: 5pm Sunday, 1 February 2015.

You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this position.

This is a great opportunity for someone looking to be part of a
fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national
and Auckland stories and reflecting our unique place in the South
Pacific.

To apply for this job, please apply online or go to our job site

    <URL:http://careers.aucklandmuseum.com>
    enter the job code 4630MA

You must apply via our careers site.  Applications submitted
incorrectly will not be processed.

                 Distributed: Friday, January 30, 2015