Subject: Receiving objects from tropical climates

Receiving objects from tropical climates

From: Hugh P. Glover <hglover<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 18, 2015
Karen Potje <kpotje<-at->cca<.>qc<.>ca> writes

>We recently received some very large wooden models that came from a
>tropical climate.  The models had recently been constructed in a
>facility that had no climate control and so they were damp when
>packed in crates built by the artist himself.  ...

It sounds as if the wood might be green and not seasoned; not even
seasoned to the humid clime of its origin.  If that is the case then
seasoning the wood would be a first step before considering
construction and shipping. Seasoning of wood is generally considered
essential, for a product from a tree.  Air drying lumber/timber
under a roof is available to all who have time; kiln drying also
exists for some.  Some dividing of larger wood parts may be
necessary to enable faster seasoning.  Different effects arise from
using non-seasoned wood (warp, mold, etc), and these may be the
artist's intent.  I think you need to compare the MC of the exported
wood objects vs. MC in the destination.

Hugh Glover
Williamstown MA, USA

                 Distributed: Friday, January 30, 2015