Subject: Wood tacks

Wood tacks

From: Alexis Miller <amiller<-at->
Date: Monday, January 5, 2015
Meaghan Monaghan <mmonaghan<-at->thewalters<.>org> writes

>At Statens Museum for Kunst, Denmark in 2013 we have discovered
>something very interesting while doing technical research and
>conservation treatment on five 17th-century flower paintings by
>Elias van den Broeck (Antwerp 1649/50-Amsterdam 1708).  Two of the
>five paintings appeared to be mounted on their original stretchers
>and have wood tacks/pegs holding the canvas to the stretcher. ...

I came across an Emanuel de Witte painting of the Interior of the
Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam (1657) with wooden tacks/wooden square pegs.
The painting is on a wooden stretcher with half lap joins.  I seem
to remember the corners were secured with nails.  Feel free to
contact me if you would like more information.

Alexis Miller
Chief Conservator of Paintings
Balboa Art Conservation Center (BACC)
PO Box 3755