Subject: Cleaning polyurethane rubber

Cleaning polyurethane rubber

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 4, 2015
Beatriz Fonseca de Mendonca
<beatriz.fonseca-de-mendonca<-at->durham<.>ac<.>uk> writes

>I am currently working on an object that has a polyurethane rubber
>(the kind used for casting) element. ...
>
>Cleaning-wise, I have managed to remove larger particles with
>Groomstick without scratching the surface, but finer particles are
>proving quite difficult to be removed.  Moreover, every other
>material I have attempted to use causes further scratches.  Has
>anyone encountered this problem before and, if so, what did you use?

Sometimes vacuuming with a low-velocity tube covered with an
ultra-soft, non-woven fuzzy material such as Vellux can safely
remove particles from vulnerable surfaces.  It seems to create
competing electrostatic forces that aid in the removal of particles
adhered to synthetics.

I wonder if aqueous measures would be safe, as in pressurized
misting?  Not sure if the chemistry of the material would be
adversely affected by excess moisture contact.  If it is
non-degraded, it probably would be ok, but I think you said it was
part of a larger object, so probably not appropriate.

Linda Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation, LLC
Woodinville, WA

                  Distributed: Friday, January 9, 2015