Subject: Freezing an historic house

Freezing an historic house

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 4, 2015
Zoe Old <zoe_old<-at->yahoo<.>co<.>uk> writes

>I wouldn't normally consider this, but as the house lacks humidity
>control, has poorly fitting windows and doors, and has only two
>heaters that work, I was considering attempting to freeze the entire
>house one day over the winter, having read a brief article about
>freezing a herbarium in Studies in Conservation (Volume 39, Issue
>Supplement-1).

I am watching the playoff game being played in Dallas right now and
the players are sweating from the balmy weather.  I believe you will
not get the sustained low temperatures necessary to kill carpet
beetles in your area unless an extreme, extended cold snap grips
north Texas in the next few months (not impossible, but very
doubtful), and you may end up inviting something worse to enter!

Concerted, integrated pest control efforts are called for, since it
is certain that by this time adult beetles are reproducing
throughout the property.  If the historic house cannot afford
professional treatment, they might be able to apply for an emergency
grant from the appropriate authorities.  Failing that, there are
some inexpensive pyrethrin bombs designed for residential use that
might be used effectively in such cases.

If the instructions are followed and appropriate preparations are
made, this should help mitigate the problem with no damage or
residual toxins.  It would, at least, be better than nothing.  Of
course, good housekeeping measures should also be applied.

Linda Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation, LLC
Woodinville, WA

                  Distributed: Friday, January 9, 2015