Subject: Cleaning polyurethane rubber

Cleaning polyurethane rubber

From: Beatriz Fonseca de Mendonca <beatriz.fonseca-de-mendonca<-at->
Date: Friday, December 19, 2014
I am currently working on an object that has a polyurethane rubber
(the kind used for casting) element.  The object is quite recent and
the PU seems to be in good condition and does not present signs of
advanced deterioration.  The surface is not tacky, however, because
of the electrostatic nature of the material, it has accumulated far
more dust and grime than other parts of the object.  Moreover, it is
also scratched and abraded, which has caused it to become dulled and
unsightly on these areas.

Cleaning-wise, I have managed to remove larger particles with
Groomstick without scratching the surface, but finer particles are
proving quite difficult to be removed.  Moreover, every other
material I have attempted to use causes further scratches.  Has
anyone encountered this problem before and, if so, what did you use?

Bia Fonseca

                  Distributed: Sunday, January 4, 2015