Subject: Storing rolled textiles

Storing rolled textiles

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <deborah.trupin<-at->
Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Catherine Bennetts-Cash <catherine<-at->bennettscash<.>id<.>au> writes

>I am currently researching space-efficient methods for storing 60+
>rolled textiles. Does anyone belong to, or know of, a museum that
>has invested in a vertical carousel system for storing rolled
>textiles? Does anyone have any other suggestions about space
>efficient systems? I am particularly interested to hear from
>Australian museums.

We have used two economical and space-efficient systems for rolled
textile storage and have a third that is a bit more complex/costly.

The most basic is to have wooden "trees" made (4x4 lumber--in
American measurements--with a base for stability and with dowels
fitted in at angles to hold pipes or dowels on which the
tubes--holding the rolled textiles--are supported).

The next is something we have made of metal lumber and "U" bolts.
The metal lumber (fixed in our case at the top to a metal-floored
mezzanine a and to the floor) forms the vertical supports, the "U"
bolts hold the pipes that hold the tubes with the textiles.  The
third system uses chains suspended from tracks and large "S" hooks
that hold the pipes that hold the tubes.

I can send you some pictures if you contact me off line.  Hope this
helps.

Deborah Lee Trupin
Textile Conservator
New York State Office of Parks