Subject: Hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Monday, December 9, 2013
Isobel Griffin <i.griffin<-at->nls<.>uk> writes

>The book-handlers in our library have asked whether it is acceptable
>to apply antibacterial hand gels and then handle books.  I'm
>inclined to think that it is probably not a good idea, as the gels
>could contain traces of materials that might stain the books, but I
>wondered if anyone else has a view on this?

The contents of the hand sanitizers can very, but most will contain
some kind of emollient along with the alcohol and antibacterial
agents. The only way to really know what the risks are is to look at
each ingredient in a particular brand.

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist
President:  Arts, Crafts and Theater Safety, Inc.
Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE
181 Thompson St., #23
New York, NY 10012

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 15, 2013