Subject: Epoxies and food

Epoxies and food

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Monday, December 9, 2013
Alison Foster <alisonfoster<-at->muho<.>no> writes

>Does anyone have any information about the safety of epoxies,
>including Hxtal NYL-1, Araldite 20:20 and Fynebond, for use on
>ceramics or glass items that are intended to be used for food and
>drink?  ...
> I'm not familiar with your regulations, but food surfaces in the
US are regulated by a number of laws.  Unless the manufacturer
clearly says the stuff is for food surfaces and will stand behind
this use, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, I might not do it since
the most common epoxy is a bisphenol-A (BPA) resin.  There could be
residual monomer that would leach into food.  Another type of resin
is the Bisphenol-F resin which is also probably an endocrine
disrupter like BPA.  Some of the solvents in these products are the
glycidyl ethers that may have reproductive hazards. The hardeners
also may contain some amine chemicals that I wouldn't want near my
food.

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist
President:  Arts, Crafts and Theater Safety, Inc.
Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE
181 Thompson St., #23
New York, NY 10012

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 15, 2013