Subject: Nitrogen generators for anoxic pest treatment

Nitrogen generators for anoxic pest treatment

From: Jessie Firth <jessie.firth<-at->
Date: Monday, December 9, 2013
At the Australian War Memorial we are going to anoxic treat a large
portion of our textiles in storage for pest control.  We have
traditionally frozen our textiles but this is not feasible for the
textiles in question.

Due to the volume of nitrogen required purchasing bottles is cost
prohibitive so we are looking at hiring or purchasing a nitrogen
generator.  Firstly we want to know what purity or grade of nitrogen
is required for 100% kill?  And secondly, there are two types of
nitrogen generators available, membrane and chemical.  Does anyone
have experience with either system?  We are asking for advice and
peoples experience in terms of purity/grade of produced Nitrogen,
portability, initial cost and ongoing maintenance costs.

Jessie Firth
Textile Conservator
Collection Services
Australian War Memorial