Subject: Costume Society of America (CSA) events

Costume Society of America (CSA) events

From: Brenna A. Barks <csawr.publicity<-at->
Date: Monday, December 2, 2013
Costume Society of America (CSA)
Western Region

The Costume Society of America (CSA)
<URL:http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com/RegionV/region5homepage.htm>
is a professional association focused on the education,
preservation, design, and research of historic and contemporary
apparel, fashion and material culture. The national membership is
over 1200 and is divided into seven regions: Northeastern,
Mid-Atlantic, Midwestern, Southeastern, Southwestern, Western and
International. The Western Region of CSA is geographically the
largest in North America, spanning three time zones, two nations and
the Pacific Ocean. It covers Alaska, Alberta, California, Guam,
Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, the Yukon and Northwest Territories,
Oregon, Saskatchewan, Washington, and Wyoming. The Western Region
has the largest membership of the regions, currently totaling 266.

Highlights for 2013 include:

April 2013

    "Resplendent Dress in Southeastern Europe: Layered in History"
    Los Angeles, CA-Fowler Museum at UCLA

May 2013 CSA

    National Symposium: "Mining the History of Costume: Fact and
    Fantasy"
    Las Vegas, NV

August 2013

    "Pageant of the Masters"
    Laguna Beach, CA

September, 2013

    "Costume Camfires and Candlelight"
    Fort Vancouver and Oregon City, OR

October 26, 2013

    Parties, Gardens and Ganna Walska and WR Annual Business Meeting
    Ventura and Santa Barbara, CA Museum of Ventura County and
    Lotusland

2014 Programs

    January 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, de Young Museum

        "The Art of Bulgari: La Dolce Vita and Beyond, 1950 - 1990"
        presents approximately 150 showstopping pieces from this
        era, along with sketches and other materials from the
        Bulgari archives. The exhibition takes a decade-by-decade
        look at Bulgari's innovations in jewelry design with a
        particular focus on important American clients and on
        several striking pieces from the Elizabeth Taylor
        collection. We will enjoy an exclusive guided tour of the
        exhibit, followed by lunch. At 1:00 there is an opportunity
        to attend a public lecture on the exhibit. There is a bonus
        surprise still in development to make this a full day at the
        museum.

    Late March-April, 2014 (date TBA)
    Los Angeles, CA

        "Western Costume and FIDM"

        Legendary Western Costume is one of the oldest and largest
        costume companies in the world. It is so integral to
        Hollywood film and TV production that it's impossible to
        conceive of Hollywood existing without Western. We will have
        a special tour of the facilities guided by Bobi Garland,
        head of the Research Library. To compliment our immersion
        into the world of Hollywood costume, we will have a Meet-Up
        in the afternoon to view the annual Academy Award Costumes
        Exhibit at FIDM. Gallery Assistant and CSA Member, Meghan
        Hanson has agreed to lead an informal tour of the exhibit.

        Since its inception in 1992, the exhibition has annually
        honored the incredible creativity of costume designers in
        the film industry. This exhibit is a "must-see" not only for
        movie fans, but also for we who really appreciate the
        intricate details of costume.

June-July, 2014 (date TBA)

    Northern area CSA

    Our third Event for 2014 is still in development. We are working
    on a visit to a textile conservator's studio and a viewing of a
    private collection.

September 6, 2014
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

    "Los Angeles, CA Kimono for a Modern Age, 1900 - 1960" features
    more than thirty robes that reflect the rapidly changing
    cultural conditions in Japan during the first half of the
    twentieth century. A majority of the garments on display are
    made from a type of silk plain-weave fabric known as meisen
    ('m-u-sen). Produced of machine-reeled silk, stencil-dyed with
    imported synthetic dyes prior to being woven into cloth, meisen
    kimono often incorporated vividly colored designs inspired by
    modern aesthetics and Western art movements. Sharon S. Takeda,
    Senior Curator and Head of the Department of Costume and
    Textiles, will present a fully illustrated lecture in LACMA's
    Brown Auditorium followed by a self-guided tour of the
    exhibition in the Pavilion for Japanese Art.

Oct 11-13, 2014
Portland, OR

    Western Region Symposium and Annual Business Meeting "From the
    Street to the Catwalk: Cultural influences on Contemporary
    Fashion" will be the theme of the 2014 Symposium. Look for the
    Call for Papers and details coming soon.

For more information or to submit formal program or 'Meet-Up' ideas,
contact Mary Gibson <marygibsonwrcsa<-at->yahoo<.>com>

2014 Meet-Ups
Looking for volunteer coordinators

Through March 2, 2014

    Fowler Museum at UCLA
    "Powerful Bodies: Zulu Arts of Personal Adornment"

Through February 15, 2014

    Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, CA
    "A Quest for Beauty: The Art of Van Cleef and Arpels"

March 8 - October 4, 2014

    Lacis Museum of Lace and Textiles
    Berkeley, CA
    "Smocking; Fabric Manipulation and Beyond"

Visit

    <URL:http://tinyurl.com/CSA-Western>

for exhibits in our region

Other 2014 Events of Note: