Subject: Results of survey on preservation statistics

Results of survey on preservation statistics

From: Holly Robertson <hollyrobertson21<-at->
Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2013
We are delighted to finally share the results of the pilot FY2012
Preservation Statistics Survey.  Sixty-two institutions completed
this pilot survey to document preservation activities in U.S.
libraries, museums, archives, and other cultural heritage
institutions.  Picking up the ball and moving it down the field from
where the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) left off when the
Preservation Statistics program was discontinued in 2007, the report
examines how respondents are organizing and administering
traditional and digital preservation programs and chronicles their
preventive preservation (disaster planning, environmental
monitoring, outreach and education), conservation, and reformatting
/ digitization activities.  Additionally, the report assesses trends
in the preservation programs of academic and research libraries in
the five year span between the last ARL Preservation Statistics
Survey in 2007 to this pilot survey in 2012 based on the responses
provided by the thirty-four Association of Research Library (ARL)
members who participated in this pilot survey.

Find the report--including links to the survey data--online as a
Google Doc:

    <URL:http://goo.gl/VxN8gj>

Also find our temporary online home for the Preservation Statistics
project (including helpful links to related preservation surveys and
the latest news about the upcoming FY2013 Preservation Statistics
Survey) at:

    <URL:https://sites.google.com/site/preservationstatistics/>

This bare-bones site is a placeholder until we jump through the
various hoops to make this project an official PARS/ALCTS/ALA
activity. Following the release of this survey, we'll start working
on that process and minor updates to the survey questionnaire in
preparation for the FY2013 Preservation Statistics Survey to be
released in January 2014 and open through March 2014.  We do not
anticipate many changes to the questions presented in the pilot
FY2012 survey, but we will be refining the Instructions and
Definitions Document and trying to make the online survey form an
overall better experience.  Additionally, the FY2013 survey will
likely be open only to U.S. libraries.  As we develop a model of
success with ALA and the library community, we look forward to
collaborating with SAA, AAM, and others to more broadly document and
analyze cultural heritage preservation activities.

To those of you who completed the pilot FY2012 Preservation
Statistics Survey, thank you.  To everyone else: we look forward to
your participation this January 2014.

A special thanks to report co-authors Annie Peterson (Preservation
Librarian, Tulane University) and Nick Szydlowski (Digital Services
and Institutional Repository Librarian, Boston College Law Library).

Please contact the Preservation Statistics Survey team with any
questions or feedback: preservationstatistics<-at->gmail<.>com

Holly Robertson
Preservation Consultant
Washington, DC

                 Distributed: Friday, November 8, 2013