Subject: Case for displaying architectural models

Case for displaying architectural models

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-at->
Date: Monday, October 28, 2013
Ursula Carola Ganss <ursula.ganss<-at->gmx<.>de> writes

>... In order to ensure a safe display and protect the model
>from fluctuations in humidity in the gallery, we are considering
>exhibiting the model in a sealed case with a silica compartment.

I am presuming that the author has found information on plastics off
gassing and suitable indicators, and that the environment in which
the model will be displayed truly needs environmental control.

Certainly, the environment within a "sealed" showcase can be
controlled by passive devices (activated carbon, silica gel, etc.)
but this becomes more challenging as showcase size, leakage rate,
and duration of exhibition increase. Devices to purge or absorb
air-borne pollutants, and to effectively control humidity are
readily available. Generally speaking, active environmental control
is substantially more effective than passive methods, but for a
small case or a short term exhibition, it may be unnecessary or too
expensive.

Presuming that a microclimate controlled showcase is needed, then
from my point of view, it would be very useful to know how large the
model (and the showcase) are before making any decisions. It is also
important to know is how long will the model be on display. These
factors would help determine the best methods for maintaining an
appropriate microclimate.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2013