Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Tracey Seddon <tracey.seddon<-at->
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Nicole Prawl <nicoleprawl_234<-at->hotmail<.>com> writes

>I am currently in charge of our Bindery Department. I am a graduate
>of Simmons College and have a degree in Library Science with a
>concentration in Archives.  I am basically learning conservation as
>I go along on the job.
>
>Recently we had an outbreak of mold in one of our main reading
>rooms. It was controlled for a while and then it came back. ...
>...  We are trying to obtain a
>dehumidifier to extract some of the moisture from the air.  Which
>would be the best one to use in a tropical climate bearing in mind
>we turn off the air conditioners at night?.

Moulds generate their own moisture supply and so even at relatively
low levels of ambient RH colonies can flourish.  Cleaning of
affected surfaces whenever mould becomes visible should eventually
do the trick, as long as high RH and ingress of further mould spores
is avoided.  Hepa vacuum filters should be used and brushes etc
replaced or cleaned frequently. The frequency of cleaning however is
hard to predict as it depends on too many variables. Problems in our
own stores (in the UK) have indicated the need for repeat cleaning
of some objects two to three times a year, while others are fine
after one clean.

Also, while good air circulation generally helps to prevent the
establishment of mould colonies, while the mould is flowering fans
will blow the spores around and could therefore exacerbate the
problem. So I would suggest turning fans off whenever mould growth
is observed.

Tracey Seddon
Head of Organic Objects Conservation
National Museums Liverpool
Midland Railway Building
1 Peter Street
Liverpool L1 6BL
+44 151 478 4843

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2013