Subject: Photography by library patrons

Photography by library patrons

From: Janet Atkinson <janet.atkinson<-at->
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2013
In 2014 Lambeth Palace Library will be trialling a period when
readers will be allowed to undertake some of their own photography
(under close supervision) within the reading room.

We are conscious of the absolute need to preserve the collections
from damage and the implication of copyrights.

We are now drawing up guidelines and restrictions which we will
enforce; largely in line with the National Preservation Office
publication on the subject, and also with rules set out by some
similar institutions.

We would welcome any comments or observations from other rare books
libraries which have already taken this step. Have there been
unforeseen problems? Has there been detrimental handling, despite
close supervision and instructions. Is it difficult to monitor or
disruptive to other readers? Does this put extra pressures on
library staff? Are there items of equipment which can help, such as
book cradles?

Should the Library charge for permission to photographs parts of its
collections?

We'd also welcome observations and reasons from libraries who have
decided not to allow readers to undertake their own digital
photography.

Janet Atkinson
Senior Conservator
Lambeth Palace Library