Subject: Call for expressions of interest--Conference on cyclododecane

Call for expressions of interest--Conference on cyclododecane

From: Sophie Rowe <rswr2<-at->
Date: Monday, September 30, 2013
Since their introduction to the conservation world two decades ago,
a multitude of applications have been found for volatile binding
media (VBM), namely cyclododecane and similar materials. It seems
about time for the people using VBM to come together to discuss and
learn about it.

UCM 4C (University of Cambridge Museums Connecting Collections: Care
and Conservation) would like to plan a conference on cyclododecane
and other volatile binding media in conservation, which will take
place in the Spring of 2015 in Cambridge, UK.  We expect that the
meeting will include a day of practical workshops and two days of
presentations, including a poster session.

At this stage we are seeking expressions of interest to help us plan
the programme so that it covers the issues that YOU are interested
in.  What topics would you like to hear about?  Have you done any
work with VBM that you would like to present?

Some of the topics we would like to include are innovative uses and
application methods, large scale projects, archaeological
applications, project management issues and practical considerations
when using VBM, questions about safety and the effect of these media
on the environment, chemistry of VBM and the issue of residues, and
experiences with VBM other than cyclododecane.

We will issue a formal call for papers in due course, but in the
meantime if you are interested in either contributing or attending
we would very much like to hear from you.  Please email Sophie Rowe
with your suggestions at rswr2<-at->cam<.>ac<.>uk

Sophie Rowe
Conservator
Scott Polar Research Institute
Lensfield Road