Subject: Cat urine on unprimed color-field painting

Cat urine on unprimed color-field painting

From: Teri L. Herbert <herbertl<-at->
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Steven Prins <sprins1102<-a t->aol< . >com> writes

>I have received in my studio for treatment a color-field painting on
>unprimed canvas that has been marked with urine by a male cat.  I am
>wondering if anyone on the list has recent references regarding
>feline urine composition and chemistry, as well as
>conservation-appropriate procedures and formulae for its removal
>from unprimed canvas? Thanks in advance for any references and/or
>suggestions.

I found that the Nature's Miracle Pet Stain Wipes is in ToxNet:

    <URL:http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16021003>

The MSDS is found at

    <URL:http://www.freshpets.com/v/vspfiles/assets/pdfs/NM110.pdf>

TL Herbert
Medical University of South Carolina Library
Charleston, SC

                  Distributed: Sunday, October 6, 2013