Subject: Cat urine on unprimed color-field painting

Cat urine on unprimed color-field painting

From: Grace White <grace.white<-at->
Date: Thursday, September 26, 2013
Steven Prins <sprins1102<-a t->aol< . >com> writes

>I have received in my studio for treatment a color-field painting on
>unprimed canvas that has been marked with urine by a male cat.  I am
>wondering if anyone on the list has recent references regarding
>feline urine composition and chemistry, as well as
>conservation-appropriate procedures and formulae for its removal
>from unprimed canvas? Thanks in advance for any references and/or
>suggestions.

As the owner of an elderly cat with bad litter box habits, I've
become a huge fan of Nature's Miracle.  I don't know anything about
its conservation appropriateness, but I do know that almost nothing
else has worked for my laundry items.  The ingredients are vague
(bio-enzymes and oxygen boosters), and the spray I've used smells
like isopropyl alcohol.  The company is probably guarded about
revealing the specific ingredients, but perhaps they would be
agreeable to helping you with conservation questions.  I would be
very interested to hear how the treatment goes.  Good luck (and my
sympathies for such a wretched problem).

    <URL:http://www.natures-miracle.com/products/pet-odor-stain-removers.aspx>

Grace White
Conservator for Special Collections
Duke University Libraries
Preservation Mailbox #90189
Durham, NC 27708
919-660-5906
Fax: 919-684-2855

               Distributed: Saturday, September 28, 2013