Subject: Polyurethane cosmetic sponges

Polyurethane cosmetic sponges

From: Barbara E. Lemmen <blemmen<-at->
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2013
At the Conservation Center, we are avid users of latex-free,
polyurethane cosmetic sponges for the surface cleaning of paper. The
use of these dense, very soft, white sponges in other branches of
conservation appears to be widespread.  We have been using Essence
of Beauty brand for several years and, recently, colleagues
recommended Qosmedix brand.  Has anyone recently evaluated cosmetic
sponges of this type and developed selection criteria, or can
recommend a particular brand?  We would be especially interested in
any PAT testing that has been done because we would like to be
confident of their non-reactivity with photographic materials.

Barbara Lemmen
Senior Photograph Conservator
Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts
264 South 23rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 24, 2013