Subject: Munters wheel desiccant dehumidifiers

Munters wheel desiccant dehumidifiers

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-at->
Date: Monday, September 9, 2013
Tim Edwards <tim.edwards [at] hants__gov__uk> writes

>We are investigating the possible introduction of Munters wheel
>desiccant dehumidifiers into our air handling system to control
>fluctuations in humidity within our archive storage strongrooms.
>Would anyone have any thoughts or concerns about the use of this
>particular type of dehumidifier in such an application?

Tim Edwards has already been cautioned about the Lithium Chloride in
this desiccant system. Another consideration is whether this is the
appropriate device for the installation. There are a number of
humidity control solutions that might be better (or worse) suited
for his application.

I would presume that the Munter's unit has been suggested by an HVAC
engineer. Many devices present well in catalogues, but archive
climate control can be very tricky, and obvious solutions are often
less simple than they originally seem.

There are many DistList readers with experience in archive control.
I urge Tim and similar queries to use them before you commit to your
first (or most obvious) solution.  When requesting an initial
observation, it would be useful to know the size, construction
materials, target humidity and temperature, allowable ranges (%,
degrees, and over what time) of your archives, as well as the
external conditions (ambient temperature and humidity ranges). Also
important: What artefacts are in storage?

With this information others can make useful suggestions. They may
coincide with your current solution, or they might range far from
expectations. Good luck,

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems
+1 800 683 4696