Subject: International Cemetery Preservation Summit

International Cemetery Preservation Summit

From: Jason Church <jason_church<-at->
Date: Monday, August 19, 2013
International Cemetery Preservation Summit
Niagara Falls
New York
October 8-10, 2013

NCPTT is pleased to announce a International Cemetery Preservation
Summit, to be held October 8-10, 2013. The Summit will feature wide
ranging preservation technologies to address the broad spectrum of
issues found in cemeteries and other cultural heritage sites.

Tuesday October 8, 2013

    Keynote: To Be Announced

    Planning: "Down to Earth: Conservation Decision-Making for
    Historic Cemeteries"
        Katharine Untch

    Planning: "Not Seeing the Cemetery for the Monuments:
    Understanding the Importance of Preservation Assessments"
        Michael Trinkley and Debi Hacker

    Archaeology: "The Cycle of Use, Neglect, and Renewal in Historic
    Family Cemeteries of Niagara, Ontario"
        Catherine Paterson

    Archaeology: "Finding Avondale: Remote Sensing for an Unmarked
    Cemetery in Difficult Subsurface Conditions"
        Hugh B. Matternes and Valerie Davis

    Landscapes: "Returning the Forest to Forest Lawn: Tree Planting
    Strategies for Historic Landscapes"
        Matthew Quirey

    Materials I: "The Restoration Technology in the Russian
    Necropolis"
        Julia Loginova and Anna Loshchenko

    Materials I: "The Challenges of Treating Delaminating Slate
    Headstones: New Treatments with New Materials"
        Irving Slavid

    Materials I: "Modern Problems in Historic Cemeteries"
        Frances Ford

    Materials I: "Returning From Oblivion: The Reemergence of a
    World War II Memorial Sundial"
        Minxie and James Fannin

    Materials I: "Red Jacket: Sculpture Conservation Treatment in
    Forest Lawn Cemetery"
        Francis Miller

Wednesday October 9, 2013

    Materials II: "Maintaining Leadworks for Cemetery Monuments and
    Mausolea"
        Angus "Gus" Fraser and David Gallagher

    Materials II: "Repairing Monuments Design: "In Small Things
    Remembered: The William Peters Reeves Grave Memorial at Kenyon
    College"
        Dennis Montagna

    Materials II: "Made from My Own Hand: An Introduction to
    Concrete Grave Markers"
        Gordon Bond and Stephanie M. Hoagland

    Materials II: "Handcrafted Gravemarkers of Julius "Jesse"
    Thomas"
        Anne Shelton

Poster Session

    Documentation: "Fragile Grounds: Mapping South Louisiana's
    Cemeteries"
        Jessica H. Schexnayder and Mary H. Manhien

    Documentation: "Photogrammetric Documentation of Weathered and
    Damaged Headstones at the Cataraqui Cemetery,Kingston Ontario"
        George Bevan and Alexander Gabov

    Documentation: "Saving and Preserving Burial Grounds of Enslaved
    African Americans"
        Sandra A. Arnold and Michael L. Blakey

    National Cemeteries: "Conserving the Nation's Gravesite:
    Treatment of the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National
    Cemetery"
        Debora Rodrigues and Amy Hollis

    National Cemeteries: "Reimagining August Bloedner's 32nd Indiana
    Infantry Monument (1862)"
        Sara Amy Leach

    National Cemeteries: "Nationwide Monument Conservation at
    National Cemeteries: Planning, Management, and Treatment
    Implementation"
        Sara Johnson

    National Cemeteries: "Confederates in the Cemetery:  Federal
    Benefits and Stewardship"
        Elizabeth G. Heavrin and Sara Amy Leach

Registration and more information is available at

    <URL:http://ncptt.nps.gov/blog/international-cemetery-preservation-summit/>

or contact

    Jason Church
    Materials Conservator
    National Center for Preservation Technology and Training
    645 University Parkway, Natchitoches LA 71457
    Phone: 318-356-7444
    Fax: 318-356-9119
    jason_church<-at->contractor<.>nps<.>gov

See

    <URL:http://www.ncptt.nps.gov>

                  Distributed: Monday, August 26, 2013