Subject: Sharing knowledge

Sharing knowledge

From: Evangelia Kyriazi <kyriazievangelia<-at->
Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013
Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> writes

>About 30 years ago Robert Organ proposed an venue for conservators
>to share their work.  He called it the National Institute for
>Conservation.  ...
>Recently I was contacted by an organization called Research Gate.
>I think this site could function much like Robert Organ had hoped
>his NIC would.  People could upload their treatment reports,
>experiments on materials, etc., images of problems and we could all
>download these articles, images and data and discuss problems
>together.

Sometimes we may find that we could use tools that are already
available instead of reinventing the wheel. I have recently
discovered a site,

    <URL:http://www.academia.edu>

where anyone could sign for free, either if they work for an
academic institution, or if they are independent researchers.
Thousands of scientists have joined, and upload papers, notes,
videos. Among these scientists are several conservators as well.
Users can type keywords and can easily locate, view or download
papers within their areas of interest, while by following a person,
users receive instant notifications in their e-mail account as soon
as this person uploads a new paper. I believe that conservators
would benefit from academia.edu, as it is free, quick and easy to
use, it provides good means of communicating one another, locating
people easily and also find interesting people and download papers
and information not only from the area of conservation, but also
from fields related to it, i.e. archaeology.

Evangelia Kyriazi, MSc
Conservator of Antiquities and Works of Art
Adjunct conservation lecturer of the Technological Educational
Institute of the Ionian Islands
Department of Protection and Conservation of Cultural Heritage

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 8, 2013