Subject: Forensic DNA marking systems

Forensic DNA marking systems

From: Bill Wei <b.wei<-at->
Date: Thursday, July 11, 2013
Gabriella Ericson <gabriella.ericson [at] raa__se> writes

>... has anyone used this kind of paint or have experience from
>its use to share?  Also, any information or reference to research to
do with the subject would be greatly appreciated.

The use of DNA marking systems or any other kind of system such as
the FingArtPrint system we developed assumes that thieves are
planning to resell the objects as collectible cultural heritage
objects. However, copper thieves are only interested in melting down
the materials as fast as possible (like, the same day) and getting
the quick money for the material. They don't care about the "real
value" we assign to such objects--they probably know that they
couldn't possibly sell the objects for that anyway. Thus, for this
kind of theft, DNA marking systems and any other kind of system
designed to prevent illegal trafficking are not going to help you in
any way. Unfortunately, the only way to reduce this kind of theft is
to use more expensive methods such as lighting, video monitoring,
motion alarms, etc.

In any case, if you are going to use DNA systems for outdoor
applications, I would first worry about the stability of the marking
system itself in outdoor weather conditions. If I remember
correctly, it was designed with indoor artifacts in mind.

Dr. W. (Bill) Wei
Senior conservation scientist
Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands
Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed
PO Box 1600
NL-3800 BP Amersfoort
The Netherlands