Subject: Significance assessment

Significance assessment

From: Mary Fahey <maryf<-at->
Date: Monday, July 8, 2013
Alison Foster <alifos3 [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>As part of my dissertation study I am exploring the use of
>significance/values based frameworks within conservation. I wonder
>if anyone has used, or regularly uses, a 'significance' or 'values'
>based framework to inform conservation decisions, and would have
>time to share their experiences of this, or have any written
>documentation regarding the process used.

At The Henry Ford (Museum and Greenfield Village) we utilize a
ranking system in tandem with our preservation policy to aid in
determining: level of treatment, method of display, storage
requirements and appropriateness for "hands on" use in living
history programs and museum displays. Both our ranking and
preservation policy can be found at:

    <URL:http://cool.conservation-us.org/byorg/henryfordmuseum/preservation-policy.html>

In 2001 Clara Deck and I presented a lecture on the topic at the AIC
meeting in Dallas:

    <URL:http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/osg/abstracts/ab2001/ab2001_3.htm>

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Mary M. Fahey
Chief Conservator
The Henry Ford
20900 Oakwood Ave