Subject: Protective casing for wooden memorial

Protective casing for wooden memorial

From: Brown Christine <christine.brown<-at->
Date: Monday, July 1, 2013
I am seeking advice please on the best way to protect a wooden
memorial that has spent many years on display in a street and is to
be replaced there once it has been conserved.  It is the only known
survivor of many street memorials which were put up at the end of
the First World War in this city and each one lists the names of the
men from the street who served in the war.  The best way to describe
it is that it looks like a very large wooden fire surround with a
mantelpiece and a glassed wooden hinged door on the front.  The
centre part is also wood and this has the names of the men painted
on it in gold paint.  Set within the frame are five glass fronted
portrait images that look as though they are printed and not
photographs, and the two lower ones have suffered water damage.
Apart from this the memorial is in very good condition, it looks as
though the wood has dried over the years and the gold paint has
faded a little, but overall it is in good shape.

The memorial is to be conserved and put back in the street within a
protective casing, and this is where I am asking for help and
advice. Does anyone have any experience of cases such as this?  It
needs to be weatherproof, vandal proof, and transparent on all sides
except the back. Does it need to have any ventilation at all? I have
recommended that the memorial does not return to the street and
should be housed within a civic/public building so that it can be
better preserved for the future, but the decision is that it should

I would be grateful for any advice, guidance, and details of where
to buy the case from.

Christine Brown
Conservation and Preservation Manager
Hull History Centre