Subject: Kodak ACR-2000i computed radiography system

Kodak ACR-2000i computed radiography system

From: Heidi Sobol <heidisobol<-at->
Date: Friday, June 28, 2013
Katherine Holbrow <kholbrow [at] asianart__org> writes

>Does anyone have experience using the Kodak ACR-2000i computed
>radiography system?  ...
We purchased a Kodak ACR-2000i CR system in 2009 via a vendor in
Canada. Our main contact was Kodak Carestream out of Rochester, NY,
and they provided the initial demos and installation of the system.
Over the four years of its use, we have logged dozens of x-ray
sessions, both in our natural history collections (skeletal
investigations, predominantly) and world cultures (paintings, wooden
artifacts, metals, etc.).  On the whole, we have been very satisfied
with the quality and ease of use of the system.  The structure of CR
systems allows for an expeditious x-raying of artifacts: about two
minutes from exposure to visualization on the computer screen.  The
flexible plates that are integral to the system work quite well with
the varied demands of the ROM's varied collection. For example, we
can ease the plate into apertures in larger musical instruments,
conform them to the curve of a bronze urn or suspend the plate into
a coffin.

We chose Kodak ACR-2000i as I found that a number of cultural
institutions I contacted were satisfied with this system and the
pricing was competitive.  A DR system (in which the plate is rigid
and wired to the computer) was not selected because of the multiple
users and applications in the museum's collections.  If a CR plate
expires or is damaged, the replacement cost is manageable.  We have
additional CR plates on the ready so there is no downtime in the
event of a CR plate failure.

Much of this is dependant on your x-ray source, too.  Given our 3
tubes, we can get as low as 6 kV and as high as 120 kV.  We are
pleased with the level of detail in these ranges but eventually
would like to increase our kV capability to 300, so that we can work
on a broader range of more radio opaque artifacts.

The accompanying software is similar to aspects of Photoshop, so the
uptake for a novice user is pretty fast.  Keeping in mind that you
can generally expose the CR plates at 25% less kV than wet-process
plates AND the accompanying software allows for histogram
modification, even a not-so-great x-ray can be quickly redeemed to a
satisfactory level. Fact is, many of our x-ray sessions revolve
around simple structural identification.  For example, finding the
length of rebar, hidden inside a dinosaur bone replicate.

Touch wood but so far we have not required any significant repairs
to the system.  It is a good idea to establish a reserve fund in the
event you need an emergency site visit.  Improvements to our 2009
model include a repositioning of the entry port for the exposed
plate, which is intended to reduce dust/debris from affecting the
scanning area.

Heidi Sobol
Senior Conservator - Paintings
Royal Ontario Museum